Wednesday, September 14, 2011

#gkenya | Kosa si kosa


The other day at the g-kenya I made yet another big mistake with my tongue, brain rather.
Sorry let's introduce you to my subject then we continue flowing it.

I got an invite for day 2 and as sincere as I was I only came for that day. It's good sometimes to be sincere I must say but only for yourself and not for others.
Back to my point, KBO had a launch at the event. KBO stands for Kenyan Businesses Online. It's a free websites solution for small and medium enterprises in Kenya whereby they can create a website in less than half an hour and it gets hosted on kbo.co.ke as a subdomain.

Being a day2 attendee, I didn't know about this kbo thing but anyway there was no harm. Screen 2 was the introduction point and that's where I got to learn about it. It's a really nice idea for businesses to come online. Brilliant in fact. However there's a challenge posed on both ends.

First the people don't really think it's cool to have a subdomain for their businesses and this is the biggest fallback for the domain and for the content they want to get to come online.

Secondly website guys won't like the idea and this is the part where my mistake comes in. I asked the 'Chinese lady' how it would be should people get more people to signup and maybe charge them as a service both to set-up and maintain the websites. Needless to say we almost had a fight. She was so mad at the question you'd think we had a quarrel. A mere question. Seeing the damage was already done and now I had nothing to lose I went ahead to comment,' this is Kenya madam, you get?' now this was the last nail on the coffin. She said Kenya doesn't develop because of people like me who think it's write to do that,' it's immoral, illegal, not acceptable and just not right'.

Now that I may not dare do it, don't you think people will do that anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment